Friday, August 14, 2009

An explanation.

Over the years, I accumulated a lot of shirts. I prided myself on the different t-shirts I had representing various things I liked, whether bands or movies or whatever. Last year there came a time when I had to knuckle down and start getting rid of some of my clothes. This was around the same time that I became more aware of how companies use cheap labor to make ridiculous profits selling us clothes ultimately do nothing more than say, "I like this brand." That brand could be a clothing company, or it could be some other product, such as a video game or television series. It finally dawned on me that not only were these companies getting rich from unfair labor practices, but a lot of the things on the shirts were straight-up advertisements for products that I never saw a dime from. I decided that the space on my chest was much more valuable than that, and that if a message was going to be conveyed via my clothing, it was going to be an agenda that represented me.

Basically, that's what Be Your Own Billboard is all about: You representing you. I hope that you can come up with new ways to make this happen with the clothes you wear. Send me examples at jamespeach@gmail.com. Give me the story behind your shirt and I'll post it up.

0 comments:

Post a Comment